Backup software?

Forum for Tech Discussion...Let's talk about anything Tech Related.
harlock
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Backup software?

Post by harlock »

I was wondering what software package do you use to make backups. Is Acronis True Image better than Norton Ghost? I mainly want it to make an image of a partition, so I could restore a whole drive if needed. Thanks.

Murdock
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Murdock »

I tried Norton's Ghost...I found it cludge

I tried True Image, and found it very slick and easy to get around. I have used it to make images of drives and it even stores the image on another pc.
Murdock
Director
NJLANParty.com

Digger[NJLP]
Admiral
Admiral

Backup Software

Post by Digger[NJLP] »

I really have never used a personal backup solution. I have been using an old license of Veritas, which is server based to a 24 gig SCSI DDS4 tape device.

Overall its a great product but not the solution for the average user.

I"ll ask around and see what friends have used.

In response to Murdocks ghost statement, we use Ghost here but once the image is done its done. But we use ghost for imaging not for backing up.

The last one I actually used was whatever came with my Iomega Jazz disk.. Doh!

I have also used CDCopy the maleware thingy that copies CD's via binary to get around copy protection. Except I used it to create and image my firewall hard drive.

Then I realized I could make an ISO of my Hard drive. If you can get the newer iso building software you can iso your drive and then burn it to DVD. But in this case you may want to boot to an OS off of a jump drive so your not actually using the drive you want to ISO..
Bleh, Signatures mean nothing to me!

kobalt
Captain
Captain

Post by kobalt »

I use Ghost DOS edition as it is OS independent. Just boot cd right into the program, backup, restore, whatever from simple menu of commands, regardless of the state the pc is in. Can't go wrong.
Why tiptoe through life only to safely arrive at death?