Broadband FIOS from Verizon just blew away Cable!!!

Forum for Tech Discussion...Let's talk about anything Tech Related.
Digger[NJLP]
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Digger[NJLP] »

Yooo! Sweet! I've been very happy thus far! I'm making the move to Verizon FIOS TV in the next week or two..
Bleh, Signatures mean nothing to me!

Digger[NJLP]
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Digger[NJLP] »

FYI.
Just signed up with Verizon for their all digital TV offering which wraps the whole thing in to one bill. Phone/TV/Internet for 95 a month. I added the DVR and the movie package for a total cost of 125 a month. Best part is they have to upgrade my fiber at no additional cost. So I'm going from 3 MBits up stream to 5 MBits, and the downstream is going up from 10 to 20.

Digger[NJLP]
Admiral
Admiral

FIOS Test w FIOS TV

Post by Digger[NJLP] »

Well it seems that the FIOS TV service from Verizon, when in use, is using a solid 6.5 Mbits of the pipe. The pipe is set at 20 Mbits down and I tested it at speakeasy.net, to the NY server and got a 13.5 Mbps result. This was while it was on and tuned to a HD channel. To test a little more I started steaming an MP3 from MP3.com and the report dropped my bandwidth to 8.3. My up was solid at 5 Mbits the whole time.

Its pretty sweet.

Oh and yes the coaxial cable for the TV service comes off of the provided Firewall/DSL/Router. I was planning on using my own fireawall but they need the provided router to bring in cable. The router itself is massively configurable so be careful.

Shogg
Petty Officer Second Class
Petty Officer Second Class

Post by Shogg »

=P optimum online with boost package > FIOS

I get 30 mb down 5 mb up for 45$ a month :]

Digger[NJLP]
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Digger[NJLP] »

Shogg wrote:=P optimum online with boost package > FIOS

I get 30 mb down 5 mb up for 45$ a month :]
Nice deal, but what we need to get all of them to do is open up the upstream. 5 MBits is great, but when you host a server and your wife is streaming video, chatting, and sharing MP3's, 5 Mbit its not enough.