WinXP pro 64bit

Forum for Tech Discussion...Let's talk about anything Tech Related.
Digger[NJLP]
Admiral
Admiral

WinXP pro 64bit

Post by Digger[NJLP] »

Hey all, thanks to Klep for not needing his old hardware and selling it to me, I am now running a new system.

Its a A8N32-SLI Deluxe MB, with an AMD Athlon 4800+ 64Bit X2, two BFG 7800 GTX SLI cards, 2 gig of ram.

Once I knew I was going to buy the hardware I knew I was going to install WinXP 64bit addition. Not without some warnings from Murdock about compatibility with games.

But I just wanted to let you know about the success I've had thus far with the OS.

The OS installed fine and patched up pretty easily. It helps having a MS Volume Licensing account, the client installs don't require activation.

My first installation was Q4 since I knew it was coded for 64bit as well as 32. Which installed flawlessly and runs like a charm.

I then installed Need For Speed:Most Wanted "Black Edition" and aside from a quick install config tweak it installed and ran well also..
It seels that MS has added some nice operability to 64bit. If it detects that your installing a 32bit app it installs in a directory called "Program Files[32bit]" and runs it flawlessly.
I then tried Steam and all my steam games.
Steam downloaded and installed with no problem, I then set Steam to download and install all of my licenses.
HL
HL2
HL2 The island thing
Opposing Forces
BlueShift
Team Fortress
DMC CLassic
CounterStrike Source
CounterStrike

Everything played and worked great.

I then installed UT2004 which installed fine and played great, with the 32bit build. I then downloaded the UT2004 64bit build, but it didn't run it error'd out saying my key was corrupted or not correct. but with the 32bit build working I'm not that concerned.

BF2 is my next install I just have to find the install key..
Bleh, Signatures mean nothing to me!

War_Ghoul
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by War_Ghoul »

How about drivers (video etc)? I seem to remember that being one of the bigger issues with the 64bit version.

KlepMod
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Post by KlepMod »

Now I'm tempted to switch! I tried it too early I think, almost two years ago. Drivers were an issue then but that doesn't seem to be much of a problem now. I couldn't find a firewall/anti-virus for 64 at the time either. Also not a problem now. If BF2 works then I'm out of excuses. HHmmmm, where did I put that cd? Let's see, the kids were using it as a frisby in the spring....

Digger[NJLP]
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Digger[NJLP] »

Guys everything is working. Asus has 64 bit drivers for the board. BF2 runs really really well.

Digger[NJLP]
Admiral
Admiral

The officcial what runs on 64bit list

Post by Digger[NJLP] »

Ok here it is the official list

HalfLife \ Steam Products
They all work..

UT 2004 Works Fine
UT Classic Works Fine D3D and open GL

BF2 Works fine

Need for Speed Works Fine

more to come as I install

Digger[NJLP]
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Digger[NJLP] »

nQuake is fine.

[FETT]Cupcake
Commander
Commander

Post by [FETT]Cupcake »

Hey Digger, I've been using xp 64 for over a year now and have not run into any problems. I'm very happy with it, it's fast stable, and just all around solid.

The only games that I came across that do not work are quake 3 and medal of honor. Everything else runs like a champ.

The anti-virus that I use is Avast. The home version is free and is a good program.

Here is the link: http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html

Oh, I've been running the 64 build of ut2004 with no problems. HL2 has a 64 build as well, it goes to 64 automatically when you start the game.
Steam Name: An0rak

Digger[NJLP]
Admiral
Admiral

64s

Post by Digger[NJLP] »

Thanks for the info CupCake
I just noticed the 64bit message today in HL2, I've been playing and monitoring the CPU's and I am very happy with the results.

The avast seems a nice option, though currently using Symantec 10.1, I may install that on the livingroom laptop.

I did have to go out and buy a current version of Roxio for burning, 6.0 did not support XP 64.

Did u eventually get Q3 to run?

[FETT]Cupcake
Commander
Commander

Post by [FETT]Cupcake »

Never did get q3 to run, however I stopped after the first try, don't really play it that much.
Steam Name: An0rak