One of my favorite articles : Dick and Jane Have No Clue

Forum for Tech Discussion...Let's talk about anything Tech Related.
Murdock
Site Admin
Site Admin

One of my favorite articles : Dick and Jane Have No Clue

Post by Murdock »

This is one of my favorite articles...

Relax...if you're reading this...this does not apply to you.

Dick and Jane Have No Clue By Nelson King

http://www.computeruser.com/articles/20 ... 01,01.html
Murdock
Director
NJLANParty.com

cybrwlf
Captain
Captain

Post by cybrwlf »

great article and so true
A howl in the distance marks the arrival of the CybrWlf...

Murdock
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Murdock »

Yeah. I see this every day. I see people who are using computers because they heard that there was money to be made. They lack the passion to figure things out. Could you imagine bringing your car to a mechanic who doesn't work on his own car? Its the same thing.
Murdock
Director
NJLANParty.com

Digger[NJLP]
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Digger[NJLP] »

Heh come work in the public sector, especially when the majority of the IT staff in Trenton are legacy mainframers with no practical knowledge of client/server.

Who says you can't have a 7000 user domain across 18 or 19 geographic regions? :roll:
Bleh, Signatures mean nothing to me!

NILL
Commander
Commander

Post by NILL »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_kEGiSaLNU

Most of the kids in my engineering class were there because they thought it would be a easy credits, sad thing is they came to me for help about as offend as my teacher. My small engines was worse, I was the only one there to learn anything, and most of the time we could do anything because they couldn't hang on to a certified teacher. Funny thing is I learned more about electricity in physics than in engineering.

The problem is I think the schools want the tech classes to be easy so they have some place to put the kids that would other wise drop out.

kobalt
Captain
Captain

Post by kobalt »

The article exemplifies our society's overall lack of emphasis on the importance of how things work. Schools and parents are to blame, the first teaching us just enough to get by and the latter not passing on key knowledge. Must suck not to be able to change your own oil or better yet nail a picture to a wall. I'll be damned if my kid doesn't know how to perform basic tasks someday (a scary thought, I know). Don't the parents feel responsible? Then again ignorance is bliss as they say, these people don't even realize what they are missing out on. It's unfortunate we live in times where it is accepted, actually normal to be a lemming.
Why tiptoe through life only to safely arrive at death?