BSOD

Forum for Tech Discussion...Let's talk about anything Tech Related.
bmeister1
Captain
Captain

BSOD

Post by bmeister1 »

Long story short.
I went away for a week and noticed that when I got back, I was blue screening a lot. Computer was running fine before I went away. I wanted to run a system restore but all of my restore points were deleted. I had none. I ran bluescreen viewer and noticed that avast and nvidia were causing the issues. Uninstalled both and reinstalled both with the latest ones. Still getting blue screens. I ran sfc/scannnow and I get to 12% and it tells me that the requested operation can not be performed or something like that. I ran a memory test on basic and that passed. Ran a extended test and the computer stops at 21%. That was on the screen for over a hour and a half. I ran a hard drive test and that came up clean. I think that the ram is bad or the graphic card. Ran a anti virus test with malyware bytes and that came up clean. No idea of what to do. Attaching a log file of the BSOD. This is the desktop computer. You need to extract the file to view this. Playing games is fine. BSOD only happen when the computer is doing nothing; ie going on the internet or opening a program.
Hope I do not have to reinstall the whole computer. Please hope not. Way to much crap to reinstall windows again.
Any help would be great
Thanks
Attachments
report 8-5-14.rar
bsod report
(1.72 KiB) Downloaded 526 times

War_Ghoul
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: BSOD

Post by War_Ghoul »

What happens if you pull half your ram and run for a while? If it still BSOD's switch out to the ram previously removed and run on that. That's the tried and true method to sort out bad DIMMS.

bmeister1
Captain
Captain

Post by bmeister1 »

I found some spare ram that was 32gb. I swapped that out and the computer has been running fine for a few hours on high load. I ran the memtest86 and that came up with 1000 errors. I put the diffrent ram in and it seems to be running fine. Ran memtest and came up with no errors with the ram. I forgot that I could run the computer on 2 sticks instead of 4. I will try that if I run into more issues. Thanks.

bmeister1
Captain
Captain

Post by bmeister1 »

Update
I have installed the replacement ram from mushkin. I set my bios setting to xmp 1 and i am getting blue screens again. Really starting to be annoying. I did not have the blue screens with the corsair ram. That was not in xmp 1 mode. Any ideas. Could it be the board or cpu?

GenTsoChiken
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Post by GenTsoChiken »

You said it happens only at idle? Maybe the board or PSU is having issues with low power modes...

bmeister1
Captain
Captain

Post by bmeister1 »

Update once again:
Ran prime 95 and it lasted for 35 minutes before a bsod. Temps were around 62 C and 71 C. Called corsair and they said that for the H100I it can go as high as 80. Could this be a overheating issue. I blew out the computer case out and vacuumed out the dust. I also get these errors when I am converting a blu ray movie to mvk. When the computer is running at idle some times, it locks up and freezes. Temp at idle is 35 C or so.

I will run a memtest 86 with the new ram to see how it dose.
I will run prime95 again with the corsair ram. (currently have mushkin 32gb of ram installed set to xmp1 mode as per mushkin request.)
How do I reset the bios to factory default. (Its a asus hero board lga1150)
I want to know how I can test my motherboard and power supply. I hope that the motherboard is not bad. I know that the graphic card is running fine. Ran the burn in test for a hour and seemed to be stable. I hope I do not have to reformat windows. Also I am noticing that I am loosing system restore points. Is that caused by the BSOD. Any help would be great. I can bring the tower to the lan but hope I can find a solution.
Thanks
bmeister1

GenTsoChiken
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Post by GenTsoChiken »

Try reseating the water block, and check the thermal paste, see if gaps developed. That has happened to me before. It seemed to have gotten to a point where the MoBo got warped due to the pressure of the block and the repeated heating and cooling of the board. Temps were all within "spec" of 80c.

That PC, now retired, was also BSODing like crazy, to the point that it was annoying as all hell... I hope my anecdote isn't representative of your issue but something to chew on.

bmeister1
Captain
Captain

Post by bmeister1 »

Thats a great idea. I would like to try the simple things first before I wipe out the current os and reinstall.

bmeister1
Captain
Captain

Post by bmeister1 »

update:
reinstalled windows got a bsod after running prime 95. this time ran longer. for about a hour. The test that was run was the blended. Dose this point to hardware. If so what.

bmeister1
Captain
Captain

Post by bmeister1 »

this issue has been resolved the bsod but recent stutters and crashes seem to be getting in the way now. Issue is that the computer lags then finally locks up and freezes. The hdd test came clean. Is reinstalling windows the best option or can I see if uninstalling programs then seeing if it is resolved. I am using firefox and it seems to be doing it when im in firefox. I will try the java and adobe flash/shockwave uninstall. Is there a firefox that is 64bt and java. Thanks

Digger[NJLP]
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Digger[NJLP] »

Suggestion, considering you did have a bus overclocked, why don't u confirm all is right with BIOS settings.
Bleh, Signatures mean nothing to me!

bmeister1
Captain
Captain

Post by bmeister1 »

what ill try to do is to make sure that everything is set to default in the bios. I know auxnuke made sure that everything was pre set for me. I will double check when I get home. Good suggestion. As a side note my old laptop has been locking up and freezing and the way that I fixed it was to reformat the hdd and start again.

bmeister1
Captain
Captain

Post by bmeister1 »

bios seems fine. Everything is set to default with the exception for my ram. Ram needs to be in xmp1 mode.