NJLP OUTDOOR LAN Party Bash.

This board is to be used to discuss NJLP events and possible future events.

Are you interested in a Lan Party under the stars??

Yes.
69%
Nah, sounds lame.
23%
Dude you want me use my PC on a table outside!! No way!
8%

Total votes: 13

Digger[NJLP]
Admiral
Admiral

NJLP OUTDOOR LAN Party Bash.

Post by Digger[NJLP] »

Ok so I've been thinking about hosting a LAN party and I've come up with a concept.

I want to host a semi out door lan party. I have a newly paved 4800 sq foot driveway that runs right up to a two car garage. So all I have to do is pretty much open the garage door and put tables in the garage and out on the driveway.
But what I want to do is host it from a Saturday AM to Sunday whenever during the summer and have night gaming under the stars. With the data show and movie screen to show the games and/or movies.

I could probably host a 32 man LAN, maybe more if we can get more tables.

I have close to an acre of land in Freehold, NJ so If you bring a tent and/or sleeping bag their is plenty of places to sleep if you need to.

I'll provide propane and the grill you bring the food you want to have.

If this pans out their would need to be a rain date and we would set up tournaments and prizes.

Please vote and let me know if you are interested.
Last edited by Digger[NJLP] on Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bleh, Signatures mean nothing to me!

Murdock
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Murdock »

Pictures??? With out pictures it doesn't exist.
Murdock
Director
NJLANParty.com

Digger[NJLP]
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Digger[NJLP] »

Ok.. I'll take a pic of the location and post it tonight.

Also parking should not be too difficult, street parking is available and the other half of the driveway can fit say 4 cars.

NILL
Commander
Commander

Post by NILL »

I don't know about a LAN outside, But I like the idea of a BBQ outside and a LAN inside. Plus it kind of makes it so you can only game at night.

coold8
Captain
Captain

Post by coold8 »

I mean having a LAN outside is great but think about Mosquitos, rain (even a single shower would be the end of your LAN), neighbors, and various other problems that could be created. Maybe if you got one of those big tents they have for parties it could be possible, otherwise I would be questionable about going to an outdoor LAN.
-Dave

Toraborakid
Captain
Captain

Post by Toraborakid »

coold8 wrote:I mean having a LAN outside is great but think about Mosquitos, rain (even a single shower would be the end of your LAN), neighbors, and various other problems that could be created. Maybe if you got one of those big tents they have for parties it could be possible, otherwise I would be questionable about going to an outdoor LAN.

I have to Agree with cool on this one, there are way to many things that can go wrong..

Also, another thing u might have a problem with is power, most home's have only about 100 amp's to service the total house.

coold8
Captain
Captain

Post by coold8 »

Man I didn't even think about the power. That is a good point as well. Also, if it is in the summer, then you run the risk of being 90 degrees at night. 90 Degrees is bad for humans and computers. If you had a BBQ outside and then the computers inside, it could work.

-Dave
[ww] tora bora kid wrote:
coold8 wrote:I mean having a LAN outside is great but think about Mosquitos, rain (even a single shower would be the end of your LAN), neighbors, and various other problems that could be created. Maybe if you got one of those big tents they have for parties it could be possible, otherwise I would be questionable about going to an outdoor LAN.

I have to Agree with cool on this one, there are way to many things that can go wrong..

Also, another thing u might have a problem with is power, most home's have only about 100 amp's to service the total house.
-Dave

War_Ghoul
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by War_Ghoul »

Sounds interesting, I'll bring my bug zapper...

Murdock
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Murdock »

There was a Jersey lan party club that had an outdoor party once. It looked good. They also had a party in a campground log cabin. I can not find the site! If anyone has any idea what I am talking about, post the link.

I'm going to check chatbear.
Murdock
Director
NJLANParty.com

Digger[NJLP]
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Digger[NJLP] »

Ok well...
Power is not an issue what so ever. House was supplied with dual line service, so I have plenty of power 200 + amp.

My guess is if I were to move all of the stuff out of the garage, we could get 32 people inside. Which is not an issue because most of the stuff is on wheels, Router table, Circular Saw, etc.

Pretty nice size deck off the house for eating, But I didn't think of the Mosquitos...

Hmmm neighbors..
Well my closest neighbors are pretty kewl and would probably join us. The ones on the corner who tore down our tree with out permission I really don't care about. The ones next to them seem kewl and have no kids and the neighbors directly behind are about 1.75 acres away..

As long as we keep it quiet after probaly 12 or so we should be ok.

I'm going to go and take pictures tomorrow. So you guys get a better idea of the layout.

Tipperzack
Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG

Very cool

Post by Tipperzack »

I think this is good idea. But a large tent would be good to keep it cool and
less glare on the computer sceens from the sun.

NILL
Commander
Commander

Re: Very cool

Post by NILL »

Tipperzack wrote:I think this is good idea. But a large tent would be good to keep it cool and
less glare on the computer sceens from the sun.
If it's happening in a garage why would we need a tent?

Digger[NJLP]
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Digger[NJLP] »

A tent in front of the Garage to add to the over all shaded areas would make sense. I beleave I have a dinning tarp from my scouting days, I'll have to look.

But as I said The garage should be able to handle the tables for 32.

Digger[NJLP]
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Digger[NJLP] »

Ok well I've been mulling this idea over and with vacation plans over the summer and not enough available time off. The "outdoor" at my place LAN party will probably not happen. I'm looking around local to me to see what locations could support a moderately sized LAN party.

But I think its time to plan a NJLP BBQ we have a few guys who I really have never met face to face and we are more spread out geographically then before.

As this starts to pan out I'll post more info.

KlepMod
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

BBQ

Post by KlepMod »

Hey Digger,
I'm there brother! We've been talking about a get together with our spouses and kids for a while now. Is that what you had in mind? Or just the guys? Either way, I will definetely make it a priority.

Anyway, I'm stuck here in NH for two weeks of intense training (ask JP about SLS) and I can't wait to get home!

See you guys next weekend!